Join the movement to be Healthy For Good
You don’t need a guilt trip. We know you know. You want to be Healthy For Good. And we’re here to help. We’ll keep you on track with shareable tips, videos and hacks.
- Science-based information.
- You-based motivation.
Tips and Hacks
Move More in April
Add some physical activity every day this month to create a healthy habit that will last a lifetime!
We can help. Get more tips and find out how to help your family, community, school or workplace get active.
Register now for your free Move More Toolkit.
Don’t Skip Out On Your Warm-Up
Warming up is a critical part of having a safe and efficient workout. Give your body a few minutes of prep-time to increase flexibility and prevent injury.
- 5-10 minutes is a good rule of thumb; the more intense the activity, the longer your warm-up should be.
- Do your planned activity at a slower pace, a lighter weight, or with less intensity.
- Warm up your whole body – not just the muscles you plan on using.
Get the Right Gear
Wearing the right clothes for your activity, climate and season can make all the difference in forming a solid workout habit.
- Look for breathable, moisture-wicking fabrics and comfortable seams.
- Go for layers in the winter and UV protection in the summer.
- Women, make sure sports bras are supportive but not too tight.
Get the Whole Family Moving
Adding exercise is easier when it’s a shared activity. Bring your family with you on the path to whole body health for more accountability, bonding and fun.
- Dance your way to fitness with a parent’s night out or even a fun family dance party.
- Put away the screens and take a walk in your local park.
- Unleash your inner child with fun games like chase, tag and kid-friendly obstacle courses.
Make Sure the Shoe Fits
Wearing the appropriate shoes for the activity will help keep your feet and ankles safe, comfortable and ready for your next workout.
- Find a specialty athletic shoe store that offers fitting services and go at the end of the day, when your foot size is at its maximum.
- Try on shoes with the socks and any supports or wraps you would typically wear during exercise.
- Try out a few pairs on multiple surfaces and replace every 350-500 miles.
Make Time For Activity
Getting more fit is as easy as adding at least 22 minutes of activity to each day. Carving out time isn’t always easy, but it IS worth it.
- Break it up into 10-15 minute segments at times that are convenient for you.
- Go for a brisk walk during your lunch break.
- Take the stairs as often as possible for an extra boost.
Recover Quicker With A Cool-Down
Cooling down after a workout can help your body reset so you can avoid dizziness, reduce lactic acid buildup and recover a little bit easier.
- Gradually reduce your heart rate by walking for about 5 minutes.
- This is the best time to stretch, when your muscles are still warm.
- Breathing deeply during your cool down can also help you relax.
Refuel and Hydrate for Optimal Exercise
To stay healthy and get the most out of your workouts, your body needs fuel and fluids before, during and after your sweat sesh.
- Hydrate with water & fuel up with healthy carbs up to two hours before working out.
- Take small, frequent sips of water during your workout.
- Refuel after your workout with lean protein, healthy carbs and plenty of water.
Wanna Be Fit? Start Walking.
If you’re looking for an easy way to add activity to your day, walking could be right up your alley. It’s easy, effective and you can do it pretty much anywhere.
- Just start walking – begin with a few minutes each day and add more from there as you get into better shape.
- Find ways to make it fun, whether that’s changing your route, inviting friends or even listening to your favorite podcast – anything you can enjoy on the move.
- If you’re too busy to carve out time for a longer walk, split it up into shorter sessions that work for you.